April 28, 2016
The meeting of the Board of Directors of StudentRND was called to order at 7:00pm by Zaq Wiedmann.
- Zaq Wiedmann, Board Chair
- Tyler Menezes, Vice-Chair, Secretary, and Executive Director
- Christy Wilson, Board Member (arrived late)
- Bob Crimmins, Board Member
- Charlie Kindle, Board Member
A quorum of members was present throughout the meeting.
Motion from Charlie to approve the Minutes from March 8, 2016.
Vote: 4 for, 0 against, 1 absent
Resolved: Motion carried
Tyler Presented the Executive Director Report:
- CodeDay registrations are now open in almost all cities. There were a few last-minute venue issues tying up LA and Portland right now which we hope to have resolved soon.
- CodeDay SF has signed a several-story venue, and we will have capacity for 500 students. 500 students will cause additional logistical and program challenges, but it's a great start as we figure out how to scale CodeDay in additional cities.
- Christy, Bob and I worked to create a strong fundraising pitch that I'm very proud of.
- The srnd.org website was revised with some of the pitch and branding used in the presentation. (We acquired srnd.org from the previous owner, who liked what we were doing :)) We have gotten several compliments on the new clarity of messaging.
- I created a list of possible introductions for fundraising, and sent out some emails asking for intros based on LinkedIn connections. I only recently got all of the replies back, so I'd like to chat about the connections personally next Monday and come up with a solid plan.
- A guy named Matt Farley wrote a song about CodeDay.
- Our LA organizer, Gemma Busoni, was featured on the cover of Seventeen with the First Lady. She discussed her work on CodeDay in the article although the magazine didn't run a lot of it.
- I wrote an interesting summary of the techniques that make CodeDay work. You might find it interesting if you haven't thought about it too much.
- We got a really nice email from a teacher about CodeDay's impact on her students. You can see it at the bottom of srnd.org
The discussion of Sponsorship Leads from the agenda was tabled per agreement.
Tyler presented the final fundraising pitch deck, and the board provided feedback:
- We should have answers for common questions, such as "how is this different from Code.org"
- Should focus more on telling stories, particularly the story of Bryan
- Needs to briefly discuss benefits for non-low-income students, so decision makers feel this can benefit their kids
- Clarify existing partners
- Change the ask per group
Tyler also presented personas for potential board member recruitment:
- Someone who can open doors for funding
- Someone who can open doors for partnerships
- Someone with deep experience in diversity and inclusion, for guidance in that subject
- Someone with connections to a notable school district or related organization, for guidance in making partnerships
- A StudentRND alum
Charlie and Bob recommended coming up with a list of where such potential board members might be found, to make the
plan more actionable.
Tyler presented his plan for fundraising and recruiting trips over the summer.
Adjournment of Meeting
The meeting was adjourned at 8:00pm by Zaq Wiedmann.